November 5, 2020
Crime Watch Alert
Crime Watch Alert: Vehicle Break-In / Theft Prevention Tips
Today, during the early morning hours, the Fishers Police Department responded to twelve thefts from vehicles and two thefts of vehicles. Most of these thefts occurred in the Sandstone and Meadow Brook Neighborhoods (116th Street and Brooks School Road). Detectives are asking residents living in this area to check their home security surveillance footage for suspicious persons or vehicles on or near their property between the hours of 1am and 4am. Anyone with information regarding these thefts is asked to call Detective/Sergeant Ruble at 317-595-3319.
The Fishers Police Department believes the majority of this type of crime can be prevented if the following safety tips are followed:
1. Never leave your vehicle unsecured, even if you are only going to be away from it for a short time. Thieves only need a few seconds to open an unlocked door and retrieve valuables that are left in plain sight.
2. Secure valuables in the trunk before leaving your vehicle. Thieves will often take the time to look into windows before choosing a particular vehicle to break-in. Unsecured items such as credit/gift cards, electronic devices (laptops, iPads), purses, cellular phones, audio systems, keys, and other items are often the targets of a thief.
3. Etch your driver’s license number on all items of value and that are removable, e.g., audio equipment, electronic devices.
4. Park in your garage, if you have one. Don’t leave your vehicle in the street, in an alley or in your driveway. If you have to park in the street, avoid dark or isolated areas and removed your garage door opener.
5. Install an alarm system that will sound when someone attempts to break-in, move, or start your vehicle. Always activate the system when leaving your vehicle unattended.
6. Don’t leave spare keys attached to the outside of your vehicle or hidden inside your vehicle. An experienced thief knows all the hiding places.
7. Park in open, well-lighted, and populated areas near your destination. Avoid parking near trucks, vans, dumpsters, or other objects that obstruct visibility and provide hiding places. Avoid parking near strangers loitering or sitting in vehicles.
8. Turn off your engine, roll up all your windows, lock all doors, and take your keys with you even if you are making a quick stop at a store or gas station, or even in your driveway.
9. Follow the 9PM Routine and double check that all valuables are removed, and your vehicle is locked before going to bed.
10. Lock it, Hide it, Keep it! https://www.fishers.in.us/677/Crime-Prevention-Safety-Information
IMMEDIATELY REPORT SUSPICIOUS ACTIVITY