Credit card skimming, at gas pumps, seems to be in the rise in the Indianapolis area. Fishers Police Chief George Kehl is asking residents to pay extra attention when they are paying at the pump.
Here are a few safety tips to keep in mind:
1. The safest way to pay is by going inside the gas station.
2. Look at the exterior of the pump before inserting your card. Contact the cashier immediately if anything looks out of the ordinary.
3. Pay attention to your surroundings. Immediately report suspicious activity by calling 911. It appears the criminals may be sitting in a car nearby using a Bluetooth device to receive the information. If you see a person that appears to be just parked in the area please report it.
4. Monitor your credit/debit card accounts to ensure there are no unauthorized purchases.
5. As always see something, say something!