Crime Watch Alert: Vehicle Break-In / Theft Prevention Tips
This week the Fishers Police Department has responded to several incidents were suspects have rummaged thru and removed property from unlocked cars. Please consider implementing the following safety tips:
1. Never leave your vehicle unsecured, even if you are only going to be away from it for a short time. Thieves only need a few seconds to open an unlocked door and retrieve valuables that are left in plain sight.
2. Secure valuables in the trunk before leaving your vehicle. Thieves will often take the time to look into windows before choosing a particular vehicle to break-in. Unsecured items such as GPS devices, CD’s, computers, purses, cellular phones, audio systems, keys, and other items are often the targets of a thief.
3. Etch your driver’s license number on all items of value and that are removable, e.g., audio equipment, computers, GPS devices.
4. Park in your garage, if you have one. Don’t leave your vehicle in the street, in an alley or in your driveway. If you have to park in the street, avoid dark or isolated areas.
5. Install an alarm system that will sound when someone attempts to break-in, move, or start your vehicle. Always activate the system when leaving your vehicle unattended.
6. Don’t leave spare keys attached to the outside of your vehicle or hidden inside your vehicle. An experienced thief knows all the hiding places.
7. Park in open, well-lighted, and populated areas near your destination. Avoid parking near trucks, vans, dumpsters, or other objects that obstruct visibility and provide hiding places. Avoid parking near strangers loitering or sitting in vehicles.
8. Turn off your engine, roll up all your windows, lock all doors, and take your keys with you even if you are making a quick stop at a store or gas station, or even in your driveway.
As always if you see or hear something suspicious please call 911 immediately!