Citizen's Fire Academy
The Fishers Fire Department Citizen's Academy is a free program for residents ages 16 and older that provides residents with an overview of the major divisions within the department as well as a general overview of fire and emergency medical services. The program is designed to:
- Increase understanding of fire and emergency medical operations and to promote citizen interaction with the Fishers Fire Department Personnel
- Enhance awareness of the department's capabilities
- Develop realistic expectations of response times from the point of dispatch
- Develop a cooperative relationship between firefighters and the citizens of Fishers.
The 8-week course meets one night a week and allows students to participate in the classroom setting as well as the training grounds, visit fire stations, and the 911 Center. Participants will also experience firsthand what fire and EMS personnel do during a tour of duty. Complete a Citizen's Fire Academy Application.
Fishers Fire Corps
A Fire Corps member provides support to the firefighters by performing services at emergency incidents and non-emergency events at department facilities and department functions. This includes responding to incidents to provide incident rehabilitation to firefighters and support to individuals affected by an emergency. The Fire Corps maintains the Rehab Support Unit (RSU) apparatus, equipment, and supplies, and provides rehabilitation services during hands-on training events.
- Assisting with public education
- Constructing training props
- Creating training videos
- Event planning
- Serving at actual emergency incidents
- Transporting training equipment to drill sites
Candidates must be at least 18 years of age, pass a criminal background check, and have received a high school diploma or GED. All candidates must complete the Fire Corp Application and Background Disclosure and Authorization Form.
Public Access AED Training
The Fishers Fire Department can assist in providing instructors for a nominal per student fee. If you would like to schedule training, please complete the Fishers Fire Department PR and Educational Visit Request Form, or call the EMS director with any questions at 317-595-3200.