Food Safety & Permitting

Food Protection Philosophy

Food protection is an important aspect of every health department's mandated activities. The Fishers Health Department is one of the few in Indiana enrolled in the FDA's Retail Program Standards program, which ensures inspections focus on areas with the highest impact on food-borne illness prevention. This shifts the focus by making the department a public health program with a regulatory component rather than a regulatory program with a public health component. 

The Fishers Health Department's Retail Food Inspection Grading System for Fishers restaurants as helps inform residents and consumers. Restaurants receive a letter grade based on the results of annual food inspections, and grades are available on the interactive dashboard. Letter grades are also displayed on restaurant doors.


All food vendors in the City of Fishers must obtain and display an active permit issued by the Fishers Health Department. Questions? Contact the Fishers Health Department by email or at 317-567-5045.

Permanent Food Establishment Application

A Permanent Retail Food Establishment is an operation that stores, prepares, packages, serves, vends, or otherwise provides food for human consumption. The term includes all operations where consumption is on or off the premises, and regardless of whether there is a charge for the food. These are a few examples: a restaurant, a catering operation, a grocery store, a tavern, or a food bank. 

apply Opens in new window

Temporary Food Permitting

A Temporary Retail Food Establishment Permit required for a food establishment that operates at a fixed location for a temporary period of time. Permits are available in a variety of time increments for convenience and reduction of cost to the vendor. Temporary events may include city celebrations, fairs, and festivals.

Apply Opens in new window

Food Truck

A Food Truck Permit is required for any mobile concessions operation within City limits. These permits are offered in a variety of time-based increments to meet the needs of our vendors.

apply Opens in new window

Farmers’ Markets, Not for Profit, & Home-Based Vendors

  • All farmers’ market vendors, not-for-profits, and home-based vendors need to register here with the Fishers Health Department. 
  • Apply for a temporary permit (good for an entire season at one location), if you are a vendor sampling, preparing, or serving foods. *Certified Food Handler requirements may apply*
  • No permit is required for a food vendor who is 
    • Offering only whole, uncut fresh fruits and vegetables 
    • Offering only prepackaged foods from an approved source that are not potentially hazardous
    • A Home-Based Vendor operating under Indiana Code 16-42-5-29


Produce farms that are covered under the FSMA Produce Safety Rule are required to register with the Indiana State Department of Health by filling out the Registration Form for Produce Farms and send it to the address at the top of the form.

Temporary events may include city celebrations, fairs, farmers markets, and festivals.  

Fee Schedule

In accordance with chapter 170 of the City of Fishers Code of Ordinances:

Item Fee
Plan review $150
Retail food market establishment (size dependent) $250-$800
Retail food establishment (employee dependent)  $200-$400 
Farmer’s Market  $0 - $5 
Micro-Market (machine dependent) $100-$175 
Temporary Food Service, Market or Food Truck $20 -$100
Bed and Breakfast $100 
Permit replacement $10
Processing fee $25
Violations and penalties Assessed on inspection

File a Complaint

All Fishers-based restaurants and food service locations must adhere to the Fishers Health Department ordinance and state health department code. Individuals who wish to file a complaint or report a potential violation may submit it via this form.

What should be reported?
Complaints about an establishment
Complaints about a food product
  • Cleanliness/sanitation
  • Poor employee practices
  • Improperly cooked or handled food
  • Food that tastes bad; foreign material in food
  • Foreign material in a product
  • Chemical taste/smell
  • Tampering
file a complaint Opens in new window


ISDH Educational Materials