If you are a resident of the state of Indiana, in order to obtain a carry permit you must complete the Indiana State Police Firearms Licencing Application and schedule electronic fingerprinting. Your application will be reviewed by the Chief of Police, and if your background check is clear, he will approve the application via the website. If approved, you should receive your gun permit within 30 days after you pay the local fee and complete your fingerprints at the MorphoTrust/L-1 location you have chosen.
Permit Options and Costs
There are two main options for handgun carry permits:
- A four-year license is $49.95 ($10 cash, check payable to the Fishers Police Department, or debit/credit card for the local fee and $30.95 payable with a credit card while filling out the application online to the Indiana State Police).
- A lifetime license is $134.95 ($50 cash or check payable to the Fishers Police Department, or debit/credit card for the local fee and $75.95 payable with a credit card while filling out the application online to the Indiana State Police).
- A $11.95 charge will be added for electronic fingerprinting to all applications
*For debit/credit card used for local fee payment, there is a 3% charge*
*If you are renewing your application and the current handgun license has not expired, there is a price difference for the lifetime application. The cost will be $40 cash or check made payable to the Fishers Police Department for the local fee and $60 payable with a credit card while filling out the application online to the State of Indiana.
As of October 1, 2014, the state of Indiana requires all individuals to apply for their handgun carry permits online. Follow these instructions when filling out the application:
- Go to the Indiana State Police website and complete the application. At the end of the application, you will receive directions on how to schedule electronic fingerprinting (step 2) and payment of the state fee.
- Schedule your electronic fingerprinting through MorphoTrust. (This can NOT be done at the Police Department)
- Bring your Application Number and photo ID to your local law enforcement agency for approval and local fee payment.
- Your application will be electronically transferred to Indiana State Police for final review. If your application is approved, your permit will be sent to you via U.S. Mail. If your application is rejected, you will be notified via U.S. Mail and will receive instructions on how to file an appeal.
If you have any questions or need to use a computer to complete the application, please visit the Fishers Police Department on Monday - Friday from 8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. For questions regarding fingerprint scheduling, contact MorphoTrust/L-1 at 877-472-6917.